In 2020, the Taiwan Contemporary Culture Lab (C-LAB) established the Technology Media Platform which emphasizes on innovative media experimentation and social connections. Its purpose is to construct a cultural and technological experimental platform based on cross-disciplinary collaboration, co-creation, and cooperation to facilitate the integration of Taiwan’s cultural and technological resources while bringing together the cultural and technological sectors for co-creation. One of the labs of the platform features future visions, exploring the visual limits of technology media as its goal of experimentation. Building upon Taiwan’s electro-optical technology and industry, aided by image algorithms and creation, as well as integration of hardware and software, the project outlines a cross-disciplinary vision for the enhancement of future visual effects.
For this edition of FUTURE VISION LAB, based on the concept of digital architecture, the Technology Media Platform re-develop an outdoor space DOME, which measures 15 meters, even larger than the one of 12 meters constructed for the previous project. To create an immersive projection in the experiential dome space, multiple complicated techniques are involved, such as image warping, edge blending, mapping, play control, and image preprocessing, all of which are necessary for a fully immersive experience for the audience. From the floor, and the surrounding wall, to its zenith, the DOME’s interior is a streamlined spherical space, which renders the viewing of video works similar to that of naked-eye virtual reality. Meanwhile, the DOME is also an immersive site, which fits the innovative concept of “future vision.”
With a comprehensive hardware upgrade, "FUTURE VISION LAB 2023" will be launched from September to December 2023. The project will include a selection of works via an open call for individuals or groups who focus on immersive audiovisual creations and cross-disciplinary exhibitions/performances. "FUTURE VISION LAB 2023" coincides with Creative Expo Taiwan some works to be presented at this year’s edition will be included into Creative Expo Taiwan to showcase the vibrant creative energy in Taiwan
1. The open call invites artists and collectives to create works for the DOME. The creative content and genres include but not limited to audiovisual art, experimental images, experimental animation, performing arts, AR, VR, AI, and algorithmic presentations. Forms of exhibitions/performances include but not limited to pre-recorded programs, live performances, dynamic exhibitions, and other experimental forms. The duration of the work shall not be less than 8 minutes. The number of selected projects can be up to 6 groups.
2. Supported Content and technical specifications, please refer to the collection method.
3. Submissions must be presented at C-LAB within the duration from September to December 2023. The submitted work is required to feature future-vision-related themes, elements or contents. Topics of submitted projects can be in such categories as film/video creation, experimental exhibition/performance, real-time performance, or short-term exhibition.
4. Applicants should go to the application system at https://open-call.clab.org.tw/ in the open call announcement published in the section of “News” on C-LAB’s official website at https://clab.org.tw/news/notice/. Online application must be completed before 11:59:59 (Taipei Time) on July 2, 2023 (Sun.). Please check all application information thoroughly. Unsuccessful application caused by incomplete information will not be notified.
5. The selection review will be in two stages: the preliminary review and interview. The interview will be conducted from July 17 (Mon.) to July 21 (Fri.) 2023. The specific time for interviews will be announced shortly.
2. Please click here to download：FUTURE VISION LAB 2023_Open Call_Guideline for Applicants
For any questions, please contact us via email at：[email protected]
Q1: Do I have to perform in the dome space (DOME)?
Ans: Yes, it is mainly performed in the dome space (DOME). However, it can be extended to the surrounding open areas after coordination and evaluation with the Construction and Maintenance Department.
Q2: What is the size of the dome space?
Ans: The Dome of this year’s edition will measures 15 meters in diameter and the height will be 7 meters, even larger than the one of 12 meters in diameter constructed for the previous project, please refer to the scale diagram in the brochure.
Q3: What is the format of the video and the sound?
Ans: Please refer to the relevant technical instructions stated in the brochure. For live performances or special needs, you can email or call us for inquiries. You can also discuss with the technical team in the future!
Q4: When is the presentation period roughly? And when can I start testing and rehearsals?
Ans: The performance times are expected to be negotiated with finalists after the final selection. A small test field will be provided for experimental presentation and serial connection systems. After the construction of the dome is finished, testings and rehearsals will be arranged.
Q5: How many people are there in the audience?
Ans: According to the past experiences, about 50 people in a sitting or lying position or less than 80 people in a standing position is a comfortable number. The actual number of people can be adjusted according to the content of the exhibition. It is estimated that the capacity will be 30-50 people more after the scale-up design of the new dome.
Q6: Can I do sound experimental works without video?
Ans: FUTURE VISION LAB mainly equipped with high-definition video and immersive sound system. If it is a work without video, it is suggested to establish a connection from the space atmosphere. You can refer to the "TECHNOIA" in the Lab Kill Lab exhibition or the presentation of the FUTURE VISION LAB 2021 work "The Sun" on the fan page.
Q7: Can I perform during the day?
Ans: This year, the surfacing of the dome will be designed and optimized with opaque materials. It is recommended that the team plan the performance to be adaptable for both day and night, or you can contact us for further inquiries.
Q8: The fields of the document registration system are inconvenient for graphic layout, how can I provide additional information?
Ans: You can fill in the basic text content description in the field. Others that need to be explained with pictures and texts or other methods can be sorted out and uploaded in the attachment area with a file name.
Q9: Can I still apply for other grants if I plan to apply for this?
Ans: The type of subsidy in this case is exhibition fee, not production fee. As long as it does not conflict with other applied production subsidies, and is acceptable and can also be exposed (for example, the National Culture and Arts Foundation needs to reveal the logo). The details need to be confirmed with the original applicant.
Q10: Can the application language be in English?
Ans: There is no nationality limit for the application. C-LAB is also a field full of international exchanges and experimental objectives. Of course, English is no problem!
Q11: Can I also apply for works that are not made in this year?
Ans: Yes, the only suggestion is that the team needs to think about if the past version of this work is not a dome structure, it should consider the possibility of conversion.
Q12: How long is the suggest duration of the program?
Ans: The recommended time for video performance is 7-15 minutes, and the recommended time for live performance is 15-35 minutes. However, this part also depends on the content of the plan and can be coordinated and adjusted.
Q13: How many shows will be scheduled?
Ans: According to the different exhibition period and the length of each work, there will be a unified arrangement and adjustment after the application is completed. The experience of last year was about 4~6 shows for the video performance, and 2~4 shows for the live show the year before.
Q14: Is there a recommended size or limit for the output size and image length of the analog image at the time of the proposal?
Ans: Ans: In the proposal stage, it is recommended to use the general FHD specification (1920x1920 or 1920x1080, etc. h264.mp4) that can be played by a computer, or upload it to an online platform. There is no time limit, but it can be considered that the second stage report is only about 5 minutes.